What skills and abilities are required to become for Business Management?
- Good time management (must manage the time of their teams and themselves and prioritise work so that projects are completed to deadline);
- Interpersonal and relationship-building skills (Managers work closely with people in their team, assigning them work as well as keeping them motivated. In order to do all of this, Managers must be approachable, compassionate and diplomatic);
- Must be able to delegation tasks (Sometimes it’s tempting to do a job yourself because it’s quicker than explaining it to someone else. However, managers should learn to delegate work where necessary to share responsibility and accountability);
- Good Communication skills;
- Problem-solving (Managers may encounter problems in their work. They have to be able to think on their feet and solve problems as soon as they happen);
- Good Administrative and financial skills (Managers will usually be expected to set budgets, manage them and carry out other administration such as writing reports. For this, they will need good numeracy, literacy and computer literacy skills); and
- Must have leadership qualities (Being a leader involves persuading others to follow the direction you want to go in).
Why become a Business Manager?
Being a Manager or Supervisor means more responsibility and work. Therefore, if you are interested in becoming a business manager, you should look for a role in a field or industry that interests you.
Most people aim for management level in order to further their careers and earn more money.